Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Tit for Tat!

I enjoyed the Israel trip to the hilt. But some incidents left impressions on my mind! And one of it was during our return flight to India.

I was dozing!!! I bet.. You leave me anywhere and I will sleep off! So Darshit was bored as I was not able to give him the much needed company. But then flight journeys are meant for sleeping, atleast I feel so. Dreaming of chat-pati pani puri, all types of chaats, Darshit was counting hours. And I was feeling the dim lights, soft blanket wrapped around me, light Indian classical music and a full stomach.. zzzzzzzzz! So obvious!

Suddenly, a disgruntled man disturbed my sound sleep! His pitch was going higher and higher till it became clearly audible. It caught attention of all the passengers and the crew members including me! I asked Darshit about the matter. He was beaming with anger when he recounted me the incident.

The flight was not completely full. All the passengers were sleeping in their own seats except one Israeli man. This guy had luckily got all the 4 seats free next to him! I had noticed him the moment flight started moving. And envied him too. Obviously 4 seats to sleep for 12 hours! Wow!

Now this person was sleeping on all the 3 seats with both his legs stretched. 4th seat was still empty. Little later an old Indian uncle went and sat on the 4th one. This is when the Israeli guy erupted! He asked the old uncle to leave immediately as uncle's presence was disturbing his sleep. The uncle responded that his seat was in the back side and that he was not able to recline his seat. He continued to sit on the 4th seat! The Israeli guy started calling names! And you know what names - B*****d, F****** Indians and many more. The old uncle didn't utter a word. Since the disgruntled man was still not satisfied, he called the hostess and asked her to ask the old uncle to vacate. The hostess denied doing so as the 4th seat was a vacant seat and anyone had the full right to sit there.

The disgruntled man was not yet satisfied by the drama! He went to the head of the crew members and started squabbling! He warned the airline guys that he will sue them! But still none of them supported him! The old uncle also didn't budge. Obviously he was not wrong. I completely supported him.

Almost for 8-9 hours, this guy kept on cribbing. I could not resist, I also started cribbing about him to Darshit in a very audible manner ;-) hehe! And few times, he even turned towards us. But who fears.. He was very rude to the old uncle without any reason!!

We both didn't realize when time passed! Pilot announced the descending of the flight. I and Darshit were still not able to control our angers. We wanted to belt that guy left right. I started thinking in those lines too. We had our luggage in the overhead bin and the disgruntled man was sitting very close to that bin. I thought while getting down, we should deliberately hit that guy!! Yes!! We should do that! But then I controlled myself and didn't tell my plan to Darshit.

Plane landed. We all got up to get our bags out. 'Bang'!!! Hahahahaha.. it hit that disgruntled man! Oh my god!! Darshit did it!!!!! I laughed instead of feeling sorry! I was the happiest! And I was very proud of Darshit.

We didn't speak of the incident. I do not know if Darshit did it deliberately and I never asked him. I just felt relieved! We can't be always at the receiving side, you see!!!

31 comments:

Mohan said...

that was funny!!!
Not everyone gets sleep so easily... And if I am the driver, don't need sleep for 24 hrs continuously :D

Bhushavali said...

Hats off to Darshit!!! U did a great job man...

Poetry in Stones Part one at My Travelogue
My Travelogue, Savoir-Faire

BK Chowla, said...

Vineeta,this is my first visit.I just went through some of your recent posts.Very impressive.
May Darshit was able to read your mind,or is it that your prayers get answered quickly?

R. Ramesh said...

well violence hehe..no yar...darshit would not have done deliberately..my friends r all peace lovers despite that brute talking shit...hey thanks friend..so u like chocolates!! who doesnot?

Rutu Mulkar said...

Good one Vineeta!! Whatever happened to that quiet Uncle?

Minal said...

Good one Vineeta - I often see Indians being taken for granted by all - people still tend to look down upon us - which is sad! And for that matter Indian or no Indian - no one has a right to behave with anyone the way that man did with the old uncle. Uncle might've felt best to keep quiet and be dignified. I'm glad Darshit made your wish come true - now that's what I call telepathy:-)

Minal said...

Btw I can fall asleep anywhere too:-)) Flights are for sleeping and drowning under the cozy blanket;-)

Indy said...

Well,I am sure he did not mean to,but that cheeky fellow deserved it so well done to Darshit! :)
Poor uncle!

Nova said...

You dint tell us how the "disgruntled guy" reacted?

Anny said...

Good Darshit :)
& sorry for that Uncle..

Vineeta said...

@Mohan: Hats off to you! I can never drive like this :))

@Mitr: I am sure ur comments will make Darshit happy :)

@BK Chowla: Thank you the encouraging words.. I am a fan of ur blog. I like any topic on India and would love to share my thoughts on ur posts. I will keep visiting ur blog :)

@Ramesh: If thats so, I am an exception :))

@Rutu: The uncle was very upset. He was not so fluent in English but his feelings were very much visible on this face :(

@Minal: Thanks yar for the comment. I am glad to find one more frnd like me :D :D

@Indy: Yes he completely deserved it.

@Nova: U seem to be more worried abt disgruntled guy?!!!!! I didnt look at him at alllllll....


@Nali: Hey thanks yar :)

The Creative Corner said...

Check this video..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOtEQB-9tvk

Everything is amazing but still nobody is happy..

Darshit said...

Although my attempt was not deliberate but I did not feel sorry about it.

Here are few more things I observed

I dont know why airlines gave him a sit with 3 free sits next to him when many of us did not have even a single sit free in our row, what kind of a special privileges did that guy deserve.

When he was not allowed to sleep by that uncle he switched on all reading lights above his row and tried to point them towards other people who were sleeping. I found it very childish.

Once by mistake that uncle would have touched the feet of that guy and guy told uncle how dare you touch me, stay away from me and dont touch me again. Thats the conversation which probably boiled us.

It's not about israeli or any other nationalist, it's about those people who have such mentality, I've seem many indians also shouting at crew members because they did not get vegeterian food and crew member missed it out by mistake.

I felt really bad about that uncle, he was not able to utter even a word. Although crew was very supportive to him, I still feel uncle himself should have answered. Probably he represent the previous generation of India.

When my bag fell onto that guy, he did not say anything and went away, I suppose he knew the reason ;-) Probably we represent the current generation of India.

Unknown said...

@Vineeta My God you can sleep in flights I cannot in any form of transport... I need a cosy bed ...

@Darshit you are right I think we represent a Tit for Tat generation....

Brijesh Gajera said...

Darshit ni himmat ni daad devi pade...Kudos!!!

lostworld said...

I'm glad he got what he deserved. Actually he could have done with larger doses..like a whole pile of luggages falling on his bloated head!!!! What an annoying person.

As Darshit said, I have also come across Indians complaining in the flight for the smallest of things. Somethings take forever to change.

Kavita Saharia said...

It is sad ..if only we all show a little respect and courtesy to each other!I can very well understand how you must have felt .God has his own ways to deal with bullies like that....god must have arranged that crucial falling of the bag right on his head...i wish that uncle witnessed this ...did he ?

Yogesh Goel said...

wow that was great...
but sumtimes i seriously wonder as to why sum people think that they r the God of this world n they deserve all they want...
they never seem to think of others...
its bcoz of people like him there is so much of violence in this world....

hmm...

Musings of a lonely traveler said...

That was funny; you do encounter such idiotic and stubborn people in our journeys. Lotsa times, I thought of teaching them a lesson (especially, a drunken guy who was doing some nasty signals to a lady passenger.....still regret for not punching him on the nose)...good read :)

social hostility said...

Hii mate!!.. I am visiting your blog for the 1st time.. Quite a good narration of story.. It is tough to induce readers to feel the incident.. You did it!!.. Rather than the story,I liked this in your blog... Gr8 work mate!!

Teendudes!!
http://www.outofthemold.com/

PNA said...

Fanastic Darshit. A pat on ur back for that. And u too Vineeta for ur reactions. We are the tit for tat generation.

Courtesy has gone to the dogs!!
But how do we make these people learn abt being good to others at least for formality sake!

Anonymous said...

You sound so much like me.. I can even sleep on an hours flight.. And my hubby cant even sleep on a 14 hour flight.. and then expects me to play 'scarble' with him... Like really my brains work at that altitude..

Anyway... Please.. please... send me a pic of the painted wall... I'd love to post it on my blog...

Anonymous said...

I am on fb. My email id is torresp27@hotmail.com.... Option 2.. just email the pics to me... Thanks a ton!

Shilpa Garg said...

That was a good one!! That man truly needed that bang on his head!! :D

R. Ramesh said...

hey friend thanks ya..4 passing by:)

R. Ramesh said...

vin.thanks ya...and arre yar..waiting 2 c next post..:)

Indy said...

You have been tagged...please see my blog!

Niharika said...

Oh!!!!
Just a bag on his head was insufficient!!!
Ye Dil Maange More!!!
:-P

Minal said...

Vineeta,

you are tagged here :http://grangergab.blogspot.com/2009/11/wishing-and-hopingmy-bucket-list.html

Miss M said...

LOL! This was hilarious! Truly tit for tat.

First time here! :)

Unknown said...

Sorry but I can not agree with you. Be vocal - not violent. I feel instead of passively protesting, you folks should have actively voiced out ur opinion.